March 25

SINGAPORE:

Call for guidelines on death penalty

A former senior district judge has called for guidelines on how judges should use their discretion to decide if a capital offender should hang or get a life term.

At issue is whether such discretion will lead to inconsistency in sentencing, said Dr S. Chandra Mohan, now a Singapore Management University law don.

He raised these points in an article titled The Death Penalty and the Desirability of Judicial Discretion, in the current issue of the Law Society's Law Gazette.

His comments about granting judges complete discretion to impose death or life sentences for certain murder offences comes at a time when the new provisions passed by Parliament last year could be tested in a murder case for the 1st time.

The sentence of death row inmate Kamrul Hasan Abdul Kudus, convicted of killing a 25-year-old maid, is set to be reviewed by the Court of Appeal in light of the new provisions. A pre-trial conference is due next month.

It is understood that the apex court could use the case to indicate how the new discretion is to be used by the courts in general.

Under the new laws, the mandatory death penalty is retained for intentional murder. But for three other forms of murder, the judge can impose a life term and caning instead.

"The real question that will plague our judges is how is consistency in sentencing murder cases to be maintained? What type of murders... qualify more readily for the death penalty?" Dr Mohan wrote in the article jointly authored by SMU law student Priscilla Chia.

He raised the prospect that the life term could even be seen as a "default sentence" for murder.

For example, it could end up being viewed in a similar way to kidnapping. In a 1974 case, the Appeal Court made clear kidnappers would get the death penalty only in cases where their conduct outraged the community's feelings.

"It follows from this reasoning the default position in murder cases other than (for intentional murder) is a life term," he said.

Some nations have tried to minimise the prospects of inconsistency by formulating statutory guidelines or guidelines developed by the judiciary, the authors noted.

"It may now fall on the Chief Justice or the Council of Judges to lay down some general guidelines as to when the death penalty ought to be imposed until further clarification from the Court of Appeal," wrote the authors.

The list should contain common aggravating and mitigating factors, as is the practice in countries such as the US, they added.

Law Minister K. Shanmugam indicated in Parliament last July that factors should include the need for deterrence, the manner in which the offence was committed and the personal culpability of the accused.

The authors added: "Broad sentencing guidelines in murder cases will make the sentencing process in such cases more objective, rational and transparent. Only then can the newfound judicial discretion in murder cases truly represent the better part of valour."

(source: The Straits Times)

TUNISIA:

Child rape protesters call on Tunisia minister to quit

Protesters on Monday demanded the resignation of Tunisia's minister for women's affairs, Sihem Badi, accusing her of defending a children's nursery where a 3-year-old girl was raped.

The protesters, among them relatives of the victim, gathered outside the ministry in Tunis shouting slogans against Badi, including "Minister of shame, get out!" and "Ministers who protect paedophiles have no place among us."

The young girl was raped repeatedly by the caretaker of the nursery in La Marsa, an upscale suburb of the capital, according to the police.

The suspect was arrested on Saturday.

On the same day, Badi, who as minister of families as well of women's affairs is responsible for children's nurseries, said a member of the girl's family was to blame and that no measures against the caretaker were needed.

"Three weeks ago, my life turned into a nightmare. When I imagine my daughter, who weighs 10 kilos, in the hands -- and on several occasions -- of this 55-year-old caretaker, I have only one wish, to die," the father of the victim told AFP.

"The children's nursery is still open despite what happened to my daughter," he added, his voice welling with emotion.

If found guilty, the suspect risks the death penalty, even though no executions have been carried out in Tunisia since 1991.

The last person to be put to death was a rapist and child serial killer.

(source: Agence France-Presse)

SAUDI ARABIA:

Saudi- Filipinos on death row are patiently hoping to be freed

Some Filipinos on death row are patiently hoping to be freed soon. They are waiting for the final freedom based on the assistance of the Saudi government at least in the case of Rodelio "Dondon" Lanoza.

A source at the Philippine Embassy, who did not want to be identified, confirmed that there are at least 5 Filipinos on death row. They are Rodelio "Dondon" Lanoza, Joselito Zapanta, Edison Gonzales, Roland Gonzales and Eduardo Arcilla.

In his text message sent to Arab News, Dondon said: "This is to inform those who have been asking for updates reference to my case. Since that joyful day on Jan. 31 when I received the good news that the Saudi government is paying for the balance of the blood money, my case is still open.

"I can't say for sure that I am truly safe from the death penalty since the money has not been turned over to the aggrieved family."

He asked that authorities follow up his case.

"Please help me plead to the embassy, to Department of Foreign Affairs, (DFA), vice president, Jejomar Binay and to the Philippine president, Benigno S Aquino, they could have the heart, the urgency to resolve and give full attention to my case," Dondon said.

He added: "My campaign for freedom has drawn a lot of attention. There are times when people have judged me for being the center of attention, but one thing I know, I never asked for any of this because it comes with a price ... my freedom and my privacy."

The Filipino Migrante party-list group said yesterday in a statement that they have received information from reliable source that Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Abdullah's donation for Lanuza's blood money was already sent to the aggrieved Saudi family through the Saudi Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

"We are waiting for the confirmation from the aggrieved family. Only then we can expect them to issue an affidavit of forgiveness and waiver of execution in the court," said Saudi-based Migrante-Middle East (M-ME) regional coordinator John Leonard Monterona.

There are other groups that are making a plea for blood money assistance for Ernesto "Jhigs" Nuguid, but the same source at the embassy said he is not a death row OFW since he was involved in a traffic accident

(source: MENAFN--ASrab News)

ALGERIA:

How the murder of 2 children shook a nation

The tragic fate of Brahim and Haroun has acted as a powerful conduit for the expression of wider, deeper ills and discontent at the state of the nation.

2 weeks ago, on the afternoon of Saturday, March 9, Brahim and Haroun, 2 boys aged 9 and 10 respectively, were playing with friends just outside their block of flats in the city of Constantine, to the east of the capital, Algiers. Suddenly, they were gone. A couple of hours later, after some tentative searches, their parents alerted the police.

As the clock ticked, the prospect of a benign explanation quickly faded and the search grew more frenetic and desperate. It was soon becoming clear that the worst was to be expected. 3 days into the search, on Tuesday 12, the children's discarded bodies were discovered, strangled and tied up, in a refuse sack dumped deep in the cellar of a communal building 500 hundred yards away from their homes. 2 men, aged 21 and 38, were arrested a day later. According to media reports, they have already confessed to the kidnapping and murder of the children.

The public reaction was immediate and unprecedented. The mounting tension built up during the search finally gave way to a colossal wave of revulsion and shock that was felt across the country. With the initial outpouring of grief, came a blind tide of rage, most vividly expressed in widespread calls for the two culprits to be executed. Demands for a public stadium hanging, something that hasn't taken place in a century, have been strident, particularly across social media platforms.

A national day of mourning was held the following Sunday, March 17. However, despite the families of the victims distancing themselves from any demonstrations, hundreds of youths descended on the town centre brandishing placards (one read "The Death Penalty or War"). Tension quickly escalated, and many were injured as clashes erupted between protesters and the police, the latter deploying tear gas and arresting dozens. The days since have seen a precarious and tense stand-off; with police forces keeping a low profile to avoid another flare-up.

Although most of the anger has been directed against the culprits, a debate is already under way as to the deeper, structural reasons that have allowed such an epidemic to take root. According to official statistics, the number of child kidnappings rose from 4 in 2008 to 180 in 2012, with 31 recorded so far this year. Only a few weeks ago, an 8-year old girl was snatched from her home near the capital Algiers, her body discovered days later. A pervasive sentiment has been that this type of crime was utterly alien to Algerians' conception of the society they live in. As one newspaper put it, "the question we must ask is not about the manner or the consequences of this crime but why it has happened?" How did things - how did we - come to this?

As such, the case has left in its wake a national moment of unprecedented soul-searching. For many, a mounting sense of unease is growing over a number of problematic issues. Some are pointing the finger at the judicial system: sentences were too lenient for crimes against children, leading to ever-rising re-offending rates among child kidnappers. Others are blaming the authorities for failing to keep the nation's streets, schools and public spaces safe for children. However, many have pointed to social issues, including unemployment and poverty, as being fundamentally linked in helping produce an environment where such crimes are more likely.

In the ensuing panic following the kidnappings, calls have been raised for a "national campaign to protect children", one popular comment on social media boards reads "a message to all parents: watch over your children, do not take your eyes off them, we live in a crazy land".

In the meantime, against a crescendo of calls for it to act, the government has been slow and hesitant in its response. On Sunday, an emergency cabinet meeting was held to discuss the issue, emerging with a set of measures such as introducing police patrols at school gates, launching awareness programmes and initiating a judicial overhaul to address the perceived leniency of current sentencing regimes. For many, however, these measures were another instance of "too little, too late". The Algerian League for Human Rights has called on the government to start "acting instead of reacting", arguing the fight against child abuse is integral to the wider fight against issues such as poverty, inequality and corruption.

Meanwhile, law enforcement agencies have been heavily critical of some media outlets for contributing to public alarm and anger by publishing graphic pictures of the victims' bodies as well as leaking photos of the culprits. More worryingly for the authorities, anger is mounting at the perceived general absence of the state and its failure to perform its basic law and order functions.

Many are worried the troubles seen in the past few days could expand into something wider and harder to contain. In particular, it remains unclear what the authorities intend to do when the trial eventually takes place; although never abolished, the death penalty has been, for the past 20 years, in legal hibernation. A judge can nominally still issue a death sentence, but only the president can authorise its implementation or, alternatively, grant a pardon.

The tragic fate of Brahim and Haroun has brought the country together in mourning, but has also acted as a powerful conduit for the expression of wider, deeper ills and discontent at the state of the nation. Many of those clamouring for a public hanging have done so under explicitly Islamist slogans, a fact noted with alarm by many in the secular media. Other voices, including those of academics and social workers, have called for a measured, dispassionate response to the tragedy, a call unlikely to be heeded any time soon.

Ultimately, only time will tell whether there will be a serious effort to learn the necessary lessons of this deeply tragic story, or whether the case will be forgotten as soon as the wave of public outrage fades away.

(source: Open Democracy)

BANGLADESH:

Rallies in 40 global cities demand death to war criminals

Bangladeshi expatriates staged rallies in 40 cities across the world simultaneously demanding death penalty to war criminals, reports BBC Bangla.

The rallies were held expressing solidarity with the Shahbagh movement that began on February 5 demanding capital punishment to war criminals.

Expatriate journalist Lavlu Ansary told the BBC Bangla that the rallies were held in 22 cities in the United States.

Apart from that, such rallies were organised in 3 cities in Canada, 8 cities in Europe, 3 cities in Australia, 3 cities in Asia and in Cape Town of South Africa.

Organised by expatriate Bangladeshi students, Bangladeshi expatriates from different walks of life took part in the rallies.

The organisers said they were working to create awareness in favour of war crimes trials.

(source: The Daily Star)

MALAYSIA:

Australian Dominic Bird loses bid to throw out drugs trafficking charges in Malaysia

A Malaysian court on Monday refused to drop charges against an Australian truck driver facing the death penalty for drug trafficking, saying there was enough evidence for his trial to proceed.

Dominic Jude Christopher Bird, 32, was arrested in March last year for alleged possession of 167 grams of methamphetamine.

He was charged with drug trafficking, which carries a mandatory sentence of death by hanging in Muslim-majority Malaysia. But lawyers for the Australian argued a government chemist erred in analysing the drugs.

The Kuala Lumpur high court said Monday that prosecutors had presented enough evidence for the case to proceed, according to defence lawyer Shafee Abdullah.

"The court found the prosecution has proven the elements of the offence," Mr Shafee said, calling the decision "disappointing".

Mr Shafee said Mr Bird was expected to testify when the trial resumes in early June.

Some 700 people, mostly men convicted of drug-related offences, were on death row in Malaysia in 2011 though few have been executed in recent years.

Since 1960 more than 440 people have been executed, including 2 Australians put to death in 1986 for heroin trafficking - the 1st Westerners to be hanged under then new tough anti-drug laws.

In November Australian nurse Emma Louise L'Aiguille, 34, was freed after prosecutors dropped a drug trafficking charge against her.

(source: The News)

DENMARK/IRAN:

Denmark indirectly supporting Iranian drug executions

By supporting a UN anti-drug programme operating in Iran, Denmark may be helping Iranian authorities arrest and execute suspected drug users and smugglers

Questions have been raised over Denmark's support of a UN anti-drug programme that could be indirectly leading to executions in Iran.

Denmark voluntarily supports the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC), which supports countries around the world in tackling drug-related crime.

But Denmark's approximate 35 million kroner donation to the programme may be contributing to the number of drug traffickers and users arrested and subsequently executed in Iran, according to Amnesty Danmark.

"The wish to limit the drug trade is of course legitimate, but as the situation stands in Iran, the money could end up supporting arrests and ultimately executions," Trine Christensen, the deputy general secretary at Amnesty Danmark, told Politiken newspaper. "If we continue to support the programme, it legitimises Iran's use of the death penalty for drug-related crimes."

Despite draconian punishments for the possession and consumption of drugs, Iran suffers from huge levels of drug addiction and a large domestic market for illicit drugs. Thousands of tonnes of heroin produced in Afghanistan are also smuggled every year through Iran, mostly destined for Western markets.

As a result, Amnesty estimates that around 260,000 people were arrested in 2011 for drug-related offences. Of the 488 people executed by Iran in 2011, around 3/4 were for drug-related offences.

The UNODC claims to have made progress in Iran, however, by strengthening legislation, combating drug trafficking and corruption, and improving border management and law enforcement.

But Enhedslisten's development spokesperson, Christian Juhl, argues that Denmark ought to be more concerned about the treatment of Iranian prisoners.

"We should not participate in a project where people are executed for committing a crime," Juhl told Politiken newspaper. "We can't close our eyes to how people are treated just because we want to combat drug smuggling. We end up compromising our principles."

The development minister, Christian Friis Bach (Radikale), conceded that he was concerned by Iran's use of the death penalty.

"The human rights situation in Iran is extremely troubling," Bach told Politiken. "We are very critical of the Iranian authorities' unacceptable use of executions when handling drug-related crime."

(source: The Copenhagen Post)