Package: apache2.2-common
Version: 2.2.3-3
Severity: important

In short: config syntax for LDAP authorization changed a LOT, and is
not well described anywhere. While updating from apache 2.0, the user
should be warned about necessary configuration changes.

A bit longer: I use LDAP-authorization for my apache2 installation.
Today I tried upgrading my apache from 2.0 to 2.2. And ...

1) First surprise happened while updating

Preparing to replace apache2-mpm-prefork 2.0.55-4.1 (using
.../apache2-mpm-prefork_2.2.3-3_i386.deb) ...
Stopping apache 2.0 web server...Syntax error on line 1 of
/etc/apache2/mods-enabled/auth_ldap.load:
Cannot load /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_ldap.so into server:
/usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_ldap.so: cannot open shared object file: No such
file or directory
 failed!

And of course any attempts to start apache2 after update finished
resulted in the same problem.

Solving this costed me about 15 minutes (first I thought that the ldap
module was splitted to some package), but I finally found that I
should
        a2dismod ldap
and
        a2enmod authnz_ldap
Nevertheless, this is surely the thing I could be warned before
upgrade. Also, disabling ldap module automatically is really worth
consideration.

2) OK, I enabled the module above, restarted apache. Now every access
to my pages resulted in Internal Server Error, with fantasy errors
in logfile:

[Thu Nov 09 12:01:12 2006] [error] Internal error: pcfg_openfile() called with
NULL filename
[Thu Nov 09 12:01:12 2006] [error] [client 16.193.144.107] (9)Bad file
descriptor: Could not open password file: (null)

Some googling shown PLENTY of people desperately seeking for the
solution of this problem on different mailing lists and forums,
usually without any reply. Finally I found the solution, one
must add the following lines to the configuration file

  AuthBasicProvider ldap
  AuthUserFile /dev/null

3) Finally, there were no more internal errors, but my authorizations
were not accepted for some reason. I did not analyse it into detail,
but it seems 'require valid-user' no longer works. Fortunately
there is new syntax which works correctly - 'require ldap-group'.

My suggestions:

a) during upgrade disable ldap module before stopping apache
   to avoid syntax error

b) before upgrade show to the user message, warning him about
   important config changes in case he is using ldap authorization
   and refering him to some doc file

c) in the doc file advise him to:

- a2enmod authnz_ldap

- add clauses
      AuthBasicProvider ldap
      AuthUserFile /dev/null
  in all <Location> blocks which refer to ldap authorization

- review require clauses and change require user and require group
  to new require ldap-group, require ldap-user etc

-- System Information:
Debian Release: testing/unstable
  APT prefers testing
  APT policy: (500, 'testing'), (50, 'unstable')
Architecture: i386 (i686)
Shell:  /bin/sh linked to /bin/bash
Kernel: Linux 2.6.15-1-686
Locale: LANG=pl_PL, LC_CTYPE=pl_PL (charmap=ISO-8859-2)

Versions of packages apache2.2-common depends on:
ii  apache2-utils                 2.2.3-3    utility programs for webservers
ii  libmagic1                     4.17-4     File type determination library us
ii  lsb-base                      3.1-15     Linux Standard Base 3.1 init scrip
ii  mime-support                  3.37-1     MIME files 'mime.types' & 'mailcap
ii  net-tools                     1.60-17    The NET-3 networking toolkit

apache2.2-common recommends no packages.

-- no debconf information