> Apache 2 does not send *any* Content-Type header for plaintext files
> any more, so I cannot tell it to send “text/plain; charset="UTF-8"”
> to work around at least TWO bugs in Firefox (which likes to interpret
> those files, unlike Lynx, Chromium and Safari, as windows-1252).

This is not entirely true. Let me add an important part of your problem
description you sent me over another channel:

This holds for plain text files that have no filename extension, e.g.
“foo”. A file named “foo.txt” undergoes mime-type mapping and is served
with “Content-Type: text/plain” just fine.

> Even if I add…
>       DefaultType text/plain
>       AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
> … to the Directory, it does not cause the presence of a Content-Type header.

Apache uses /etc/mime.types to translate extensions into mime types,
which, in my eyes, is a design flaw, because it is a 1:n mapping used by
Apache for reverse lookups. Every time an extension maps to more than
one mime type, Apache seems to drop the Content-Type header. As “no
extension” is mapped in mime.types to many mime types (mind you: not to
*no* mime type), the DefaultType doesn't kick in.

What you are probably looking for is this:

http://serverfault.com/a/88449

HTH,
Nik

--
Dominik George

tarent solutions GmbH
Projekt „Security Watch“

Rochusstraße 2-4, D-53123 Bonn • http://www.tarent.de/
Tel: +49 228 54881-319 • Fax: +49 228 54881-235
HRB AG Bonn 5168 • USt-ID (VAT): DE122264941
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Stefan Barth, Kai Ebenrett, Boris Esser, Alexander Steeg