On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 09:52:52PM -0400, Susan G. Kleinmann wrote:
> > Susan G. Kleinmann wrote:
> > > I'm tyring to install the i386 disks from 'testing' on a Toshiba 1805-S203,
> > > to which I've added a Linksys "Combo" ethernet card.

> I guess I'm a little confused here.  Do you mean that I should find a
> very old version of pcmcia-source (3.1.22 rather than the current 3.1.28),
> and then compile that (with some kernel or other)?

this is what i did, since i knew that the 3.1.22 modules worked for my
PCMCIA NIC:

installed kernel-source-2.2.19and pcmcia-source  into a woody chroot.
unpacked them both
i took the /boot/config-2.2.19-reiserfs, copied it into
/usr/src/kernel-source-2.2.19/.config, cd'd into
/usr/src/kernel-source-2.2.19, applies the reiserfs patch (you can skip
that part), and did a make-kpkg modules

i then installed that .deb, took the /lib/modules/2.2.19/pcmcia
directory and tar'd it up, and cp'd the tarbal onto an MSDOS formatted
floppy.

----

once inside the installer, right after the install kernel and modules, i
rm -rf;d /target/lib/modules/2.2.19, mounted the floppy with the pcmcia
tar file, and untared it into /target/lib/modules/2.2.19   then ran a
depmod -a

i then continued on with Configure the PCMCIA modules.

most of it was dependent upon 1) a working woody chroot and 2) i knew
that the 3.1.22 modules worked.

> but I was not able to mount root.bin or root1440.bin the same way:

right.   they are both gzipped. if you ungzipped them first, then you
could have mounted them.

> I gave cardmgr the option "-v", and then looked at the output of dmesg.
> It looks as if the system is trying to put the card at IRQ 11.

odd. what else was using IRQ 11?  /proc/interrupts will tell you

> How can I force cardmgr to pick up pcnet_cs instead of axnet_cs?

3.1.22 does not even have an axnet_cs

> If success here is just a matter of forcing cardmgr to try irq 5, then
> how do I do that?

dunno, i am afraid.

> At this point, I don't see a way to install Debian, short of using
> the potato floppies.   Any alternative ideas appreciated.

woody bootfloppies are still experimental. in some cases (PCMCIA) there
may be required additional steps to get them to work. this seems to be
one of them.

if you cannot rebuild the 3.1.22 PCMCIA modules for whatever reason,
i would recommend using the potato disks, then upgrading to woody.

best of luck!

-john