Hey all!

So I am attempting to build a custom Deb12 installer where the goal is to
be able to do a zerotouch install to a system (currently using preseeding)
and have it set up the partitioning for an encrypted root. Normally I'd
just use preseeding entirely, but partman-auto-crypto doesn't allow for
setting up encryption WITHOUT the use of LVM, which I'm not allowed to use
in our environment.

I had e-mailed several months ago to see about possibly updating
partman-auto-crypto, but in the mean time I'm trying to get something
working internally. I found https://github.com/thoto/partrep and used that
as a basis for how to build a package that replaces partman, and wrote my
own handling for getting things set up correctly in our environment.

In running install tests with this, I can see it's successfully partitioned
the root disk, set up LUKS based dm crypt on the root partition,
formatted and mounted the partitions, wrote out /etc/fstab and
/etc/crypttab, and queued the correct target packages. My package exits
with 0 correctly.

My problem comes when the next step of the installer runs, and the
base-installer tries to run debootstrap. The install process freezes, then
the base-installer package exits with a non-zero code. I can't seem to find
any more info from it though. Interestingly, if I go into the menu and
manually run base-installer again, the install completes successfully.

I have gone through and extracted both the original Deb12 initrd.gz as well
as my altered one and ran a diff on every file. Other than the additional
files from my package, and the extra entries in /var/lib/dpkg/status for
the new package and it's dependencies (bzpartrep, crypto-dm-modules,
cryptsetup-udeb, di-utils-mapdevfs, disk-detect, dmidecode-udeb,
dmsetup-udeb, dosfsutils-udeb, e2fsprogs-udeb, efi-modules,
liibargon2-1-udeb, libcryptsetup12-udeb, libdevmapper1.02.1-udeb,
libjson-c5-udeb, libparted2-udeb, libpopt0-udeb, md-modules, and
parted-udeb)

For reference, here is part of the debian/control file:
Package: bzpartrep
Package-Type: udeb
Architecture: any
Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, ${misc:Depends}, e2fsprogs-udeb,
dosfstools-udeb, efi-modules, archdetect, harddrive-detection,
di-utils-mapdevfs, di-utils, cdebconf-udeb, cryptsetup-udeb,
crypto-modules, crypto-dm-modules, parted-udeb
Provides: partman-base, made-filesystems, mounted-partitions,
partitioned-harddrives, created-fstab
Installer-Menu-Item: 4199

Any suggestions, or things I'm missing?

Thanks!
-Aaron

--
This email, including its contents and any attachment(s), may contain
confidential and/or proprietary information and is solely for the review