Hi,

Thanks for the report but wow, that's way too many topics.

baptx <baptx...@gmail.com> (2024-04-27):
> The following issue is based on the discussion I created on
> https://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=159027 where you can find
> attached the content of /var/log/installer/syslog which was generated
> on a virtual machine with virt-manager when installing
> debian-live-12.5.0-amd64-lxqt.iso with the firmware=never parameter
> (the problem was also present on my real computer when I tested with a
> previous version debian-live-12.0.0-amd64-lxqt.iso). I also attached
> the result of the vrms command after using firmware=never parameter.

vrms is irrelevant.

> To compare, you can also find attached another installer syslog
> without using firmware=never parameter, which also contains the line
> "hw-detect: skipping check-missing-firmware as requested by the
> caller" and looks like a bug.

No, it's not. See check on CHECK_MISSING_FIRMWARE in hw-detect.

> The firmware=never parameter did not work at all when using the LXQt
> ISO file (maybe the problem also happens on ISO files with other
> desktop environments), the non-free firmware packages were installed.

That would be a bug in debian-live then, not in debian-installer. Cc-ing
accordingly.

> And with the LXQt ISO file, the graphical expert install as well as
> the text expert install did not ask me if I want the non-free firmware
> packages, they were installed automatically.

> I noticed the firmware=never parameter only worked with the netinst
> ISO file.

Well, that's been added for use by debian-installer. What debian-live
does or doesn't do with it is outside our control.

> For the automatic detection of needed non-free firmware packages, it
> only worked with the netinst ISO file as well (the LXQt ISO file
> installed all non-free firmware packages). But even with netinst ISO
> file, it seems it is only guessing the non-free firmware packages
> needed since several were not needed to make my laptop work correctly
> (firmware-realtek, firmware-sof-signed) when installed on my real
> computer instead of a virtual machine.

The lookup is based on what devices are seen during the installation
process. If the relevant kernel modules list firmware files, we try to
match them to firmware packages, and queue their installation. Unless
firmware=never was used of course. That doesn't mean they are absolutely
required for those devices to work. There is just no way to know for
sure.

> It would also be useful to have the firmware=never parameter added in
> a menu in the normal graphical installation (for people who don't want
> the complexity of the expert installation), since it is more
> convenient to have it in a menu and also avoids mistakes when typing
> firmware=never (I accidentally typed firmzare due to my AZERTY
> keyboard and the QWERTY input).

Menu maintenance (esp. across architectures, BIOS vs. UEFI, etc.) is a
huge mess already, it might happen but I'm not holding my breath here.

> It would be a good idea to warn the user if the entered parameter /
> value does not exist, to avoid unwanted results like installing
> non-free firmware.

There's no absolute list to check against, so that cannot be done.

Cheers,
--
Cyril Brulebois (k...@debian.org)            <https://debamax.com/>