On sábado, 12 de agosto de 2023 20:26:09 -03 Lisandro Damian Nicanor Perez
Meyer wrote:
> On sábado, 5 de agosto de 2023 12:06:27 -03 Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Debian Policy section 4.9 says:
> >   clean (required)
> >
> >      This must undo any effects that the build and binary targets may
> >      have had, except that it should leave alone any output files
> >      created in the parent directory by a run of a binary target.
>
> Now this is something I never understood why it would be needed and it seems
> that it might be necessary on other types of flows from the one I use.
>
> Normally my repos only have the stuff in debian/ committed in them. If a
> package fails in a way I need to dig deeper I create a chroot, install the
> build dependnecies, untar the source code and work. If I need to clean, git
> clean -xdff && untar source code again.
>
> I could be easily missing something beneficial for my workflow there but, to
> be honest, I never really required debian/clean to work.
>
> And yes, if someone wants to build my packages then they need to understand
> how to use git and untar the source code. If they don't, I point them to the
> docs (we do have them).
>
> Also I never seen building a package twice in a row on the archive
> happening... so no, at least in my use case, I do not see the value of
> debian/ clean.
>
> But again, I might be missing something here.

Scott Kitterman was kind enough to discuss the issue with me, and he asked me
what would I do if I have to work with a Debian source from the archive. That
was actually a pretty good question, as I have to do it from time to time:

apt-get source foo
cd foo-x.y.z
git init
git add -A debian/

And voilá, now I can work with **any** package from the archive in the way I
like. If I need to clean up and start over:

git clean -xdff
tar -xf ../foo_x.y.x.org.tar.gz --strip=1

Someone might say "hey, but you need to clean and untar each time!". Well, to
be honest, I prefer that than relying on a add-on prepared by someone who is
probably not upstream, ie, us maintainers. Let's be honest, this might be a
flaky target unless you test it each and every time... waste of resources.

Someone might say "I do not want git installed". Well, I hope you don't use
gbp on your packages either.

Now I **do** see value if you are using something like gbp to keep the source
code, as you might have modified files there. But that's a peril of your
workflow, not mine.

I can also understand why that was a fair thing to have when stuff like git was
not around, but nowadays...

And **again**, I might easily be missing something very important here, but so
far I see no reason to do two builds of my packages when I can easily solve it
with a couple of commands.

Note that I am not saying that we should remove the feature. If the package
happens to work with it, the better. If it doesn't and you provide a patch to
make it work, awesome! Making it mandatory? No, so far I see no value in
wasting my time on that.