On Sat, Jul 05, 2003 at 08:46:00AM -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 05, 2003 at 05:05:01PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > The point of decoupling installation and configuration is to let the admin
> > choose which of these scenarios happen, instead of the distribution or
> > the maintainer. The first is appropriate if you're doing installs of many
> > systems (work out how you want it to look, then slam it onto all of them
> > automatically), the second if you're doing an upgrade from aptitude, and
> > the third if you've blatted a standard install from a magazine cover-CD
> > and need to do some final configuration.

> Yet another reasons for wanting to decouple installation and
> configuration is if some hardware company (such as VA^H^H Emperor
> Linux) wishes to ship Debian pre-installed on the system.  In that
> case, installation happens at the factory, and not when the user
> receives it in his/her hot little hands.

Given the number of config questions today that have to do with
available hardware, I have a hard time believing that a strict split
between installation and configuration tasks really addresses the needs
of such vendors.  It also seems that all of the above are achievable
within the framework debconf currently provides -- or is this about how
the default user interface to debconf should be arranged?

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer