At Mon, 8 Sep 2003 08:19:14 +0200,
Matthias Klose wrote:

> > I've upload new ruby-defaults that make ruby 1.8.0 the debault version of
> > ruby.
> > I contains some new binary package so it takes time to get into unstable.
> > You can get the new ruby-defaults from
> >
> >  deb http://pkg-ruby.alioth.debian.org/deb/ ./
> >  deb-src http://pkg-ruby.alioth.debian.org/deb/ ./
> >
> > Note that
> >  - packages that depends on ruby (<< 1.7) will be removed by dist-upgrade.
> >    It must be fixed to depend on ruby1.6, or to change dependency version
> >    if it works with ruby 1.8.
> >
> >  - I don't recommend that package depends on libruby. Instead, ruby module
> >    package should depend on libruby1.8 or libruby1.6.
> >
> >  - module packages that build-depends on ruby-dev MUST be fixed to
> >    use ruby1.8-dev (or ruby1.6-dev) instead of ruby-dev.
>
> I did a NMU for swig1.3 (depending on ruby). I'm wondering why make a
> version the default, if it does not build on all archs (powerpc). How
> are package maintainers supposed to handle this? what will the
> ruby-defaults package default to on the powerpc architecture?

Oh, I didn't notice that powerpc buildd failed to build ruby1.8.
However, I've successfully build ruby1.8 in pure sid environment on my
friend's powerpc machine.  I suspect the reason why ruby1.8 failed to
be built is that powerpc buildd uses old toolchains gcc-3.3_1:3.3.2-0pre1.
I use 1:3.3.2-0pre2 and ruby1.8 works fine.

# dpkg -l gcc gcc-3.3
ii  gcc            3.3.1-2        The GNU C compiler.
ii  gcc-3.3        3.3.2-0pre2    The GNU C compiler

Anyway, I'll upload ruby1.8_1.8.0-2_powerpc.changes, so
all architectures are ready to go ruby1.8.

Regards,
Fumitoshi UKAI