On 08-Sep-03, 03:42 (CDT), Branden Robinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I personally stongly advocate -n and -z over [ "$var" ] and really
> horrible tests like:
>
> if [ "x$var" = "x" ]
> and
> if [ "x$var" != "x" ]
>
> Those just strike me as obscurantist (which might explain why they
> feature prominently in shell scripts by Ian Jackson, heh).

Probably because Ian learned shell scripting in the days (or from
scripts written in those days) when

   [ "$var" = "foo" ]

was likely to cause problems when $var was undefined. So we learned to do

   [ "X$var" = "Xfoo" ]

which leads to using '[ "X$foo" = "X" ]' to test for empty.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland
    world.       -- seen on the net