Scripsit Eduard Bloch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>> it might be a good idea for make-kpkg to check whether the
>> necessary files are present in the kernel tree (and warn loudly if
>> they are not) when one tries to build modules. On the other hand I
>> have no idea what would be involved in checking this, so it might
>> be probitively difficult.

> It is difficult. Many modules need just the kernel build scripts (which
> are included in most kernel-headers package nowadays, either completely
> or shared with others via the kernel-kbuild package).

Hm, I thought it was just a matter of some generated .o file from
which some magic checksum of "struct_module" was imported during the
finalization process.

> Currently there is no see what the module-source really needs.
> Maintainers document that in README.Debian but nobody reads that.

Not all maintainers do. I recently took over vaiostat-source after day
of trial-and-error hocus pocus hacking made me able to compile it on
2.6 kernels. I would most happily document in README.Debian what it
needs to have present, but I have no idea what the right answer is.

This probably means that I shouldn't ever have thought of maintaining
a kernel module package, but it works better now with recent kernels
than the old maintainer was able to make it do [1], so I'm not too
ashamed of myself.

[1] Which was not his fault; he had the very excellent excuse of not
    anymore owning the hardware that the module is supposed to
    communicate with, and thus not being able to test anything
    himself.

--
Henning Makholm          "Also, the letters are printed. That makes the task
                        of identifying the handwriting much more difficult."