On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 11:42:35AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 07:06:34PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> > A few places were identified where vim's defaults are particularly
> > umcomfortable to people who expect a standard vi, these include
> > autoindent being defaulted to on in the system wide vimrc, and
> > nocompatible being turned on there also, which makes vim -C not behave
> > as expected and enables lots of divergant behavior.

Hmm.  It's unexpected--on its face, though the reason is obvious--that
setting "nocompatible" in vimrc breaks "-C".  I wonder if there's a way
for vimrc to say "turn on nocompatible unless -C was used".

> TBH, I think these are showstoppers. Otherwise, as long as the space issue
> is fixed as you say it is, sounds fine.

I'm confused.  A simple configuration change is a showstopper?  (":set
compatible noautoindent" in /etc/vim/vimrc.)  I havn't seen any significant
differences between vi and vim mentioned that aren't trivially fixed.

--
Glenn Maynard