Jörg Sommer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello Frank,
>
> Frank Küster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> Xindy does not provide any tex, style or class files.
>>
>> Aren't there any index style files (like the ones passed to traditional
>> makeindex with the -s option)?
>
> Yes, you can give Xindy user defined style files. But how they are
> related to TeX? They are LISP.

They are related to TeX because they are required in the workflow of
processing TeX documents.  They must be searched at least at two places:
Some directory for site installations, and in the current directory
and/or a subdirectory of it for distribution with a particular
document.  It would also be nice to follow the TeX tradition and allow
to override distributed versions with local versions, and those with
per-document versions.

TEXMF trees do not only contain TeX input files - they also contain
input files for makeindex and bibtex, Perl and Ruby scripts and of
course lots of different font file formats.

But this is something that should be discussed among the upstream
developers of xindy and the TeX Directory Structure.   I just assumed
that this has already happened and resulted in xindy searching TEXMF
trees (and being linked against libkpathsea).

Regards, Frank

--
Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX)