"Roberto C. Sanchez" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am wondering which of these options would be most correct:
>
> 1. Continue to use the wontfix tag in this manner
> 2. Close the bug entirely (since the resolved bugs are left on the BTS
> page, people who check for duplicate bugs before submitting will see
> it)
> 3. Propose the addition of a "notabug" tag

4. Close the bug entirely.  If you receive a similar bug report again,
   explain and close.  If you receive the bug a third time, keep it
   open, add a "wontfix" tag if you wish.

> Solution 1 has the negative effect of continuing to include the bug in
> the counts for the package.  For me that would be kind of annoying
> since counting "non-bugs" as bugs gives a false impression as to the
> state of the package.

If a package has enough bugs of that sort that it affects its
statistics, I think there actually *is* a bug.  Maybe in the
documentation, or in the design of the user interface, or something like
this.  Go on and fix it, and now close your "keep being reported
non-bugs".

> Solution 2 works, but I am not sure how long
> closed bugs are left on the BTS page for a particular package.

28 days after the closing, or after the last message sent to it
(whichever is later).  It's always accessible if you choose "archived
bugs", but usually nobody does that before reporting.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX)