On Thursday 27 April 2006 21:53, Ralf Treinen wrote:
> The constraint solving algorithm is complete, that is it finds a
> solution whenever there exists one, even for multiple disjunctive
> dependencies and deep package conflicts. This problem is computationally
> intractable in theory (that is, NP-complete), but can in practice be
> solved very efficiently.

Can you elaborate?  I can see 3 possibilities:

 * P = NP and upstream found this and sits on the result
 * The (NP complete) problem the tool claims to solve is not the exact
problem the tool solves in reality, thus the tool solves a different
problem.
 * The problem is NP complete but this is not relevant yet, with only a few
10000 thousand packages.  Try with a few 100000 packages and be prepared to
wait hours and/or invest in a few TB main memory... ;-)

I guess it's the second, or perhaps the thirs.

cheers
-- vbi

--
If this fortune didn't exist, somebody would have invented it.