On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 11:35 +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
> [...]
[snip]
> Except, this is _doubling_ a question that was already asked somewhere else,
> ie, a bug.  The UNIX way of configuring the mail is setting up a binary that
> knows how to deliver it as "/usr/sbin/sendmail"; it doesn't matter whether
> that binary will do the work itself, run ssh -T foo sendmail, or toss the
> mail to a smarthost.  The Debian way of configuring stuff is asking the
> admin the relevant questions only once, and keeping the config in a shared
> place.
>
> Having to configure every single program that happens to send out mail adds
> more work to the user.  You also are guaranteed that every such program will
> ask the questions in a different way, which adds extra confusion.

You're free to file a bug against every "Provides: mail-reader" app.

People (well, end-users), though, ever since Netscape 1.0 Composer
have been trained to enter their ISP's POP and SMTP server addresses,
and I don't think you're going to get the Evo, Sylpheed, T-bird,
etc developers to change their code.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed
at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the
Clown."
Carl Sagan