Maarten Verwijs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Since this is an ongoing problem, how about the following:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

We already have the users lists.

> What could be possible if Debian had an official Helpdesk Department?
> * End-Users could ask *any* question and actually get a nice answer.
> * End-Users can report bugs, but these are first checked by helpdeskers,
>   before they are commited.
> * Bugreports would end up more specific and detailed
> * Developers would only have to communicate with Knowledgeable Helpdesk
>   Users.

Also developers are only users of packages if they have no idea of the
internals.  The degree of specificity and detail in bugreports to the
TeX package that we get does not at all seem to depend on developer
status, but rather on whether the person has knowledge about TeX and its
internals (e.g. what "generating a format" means, a frequent problem
when a postinst fails).  And I guess the bug reports I make against
firefox or that I would make against mysql (never found one so far)
aren't or wouldn't be any better.

> What might a good helpdesk need?
> * Good software (Request Tracker anyone?)

So we get a BTS and a first-level-Request Tracker?

> Tis just an idea, and it may have it's do's and don't's, so please:
> what are the general thoughts on this?

I guess what we should do is rather improve the users' lists.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX/TeXLive)