Le mardi 17 février 2009 à 10:50 +1100, Felipe Sateler a écrit :
> > "current" does not mean anything, semantically, especially for public
> > modules/extensions. There is a set of supported versions, and that’s
> > all. For extensions, it is the set of versions the extension has been
> > built against, and for modules, it is the set of versions the module can
> > work with. In neither of these cases does "current" mean anything.
>
> But it does mean something. Modules which build from C sources have to be
> built
> for each version it wants to support, right? Maybe "current" is an arbitrary,
> unjustified choice, but it means that C modules which only build once don't
> will only work with that version.

You’re talking about "XS-Python-Version: current". I don’t think there
is any possible discussion about "XB-Python-Version: current", which
doesn’t mean anything at all.

"XS-Python-Version: >= 2.x" declares something useful for the packaging
tools: that python versions starting from 2.x are supported. (Note that
this could also be read directly from the build-depends, but well,
people like adding useless fields to the source packages.)

"XS-Python-Version: current" means the following: even if several Python
versions are available, the module will only be built for the default
version. *This declaration has nothing to do with the supported Python
versions.* If we really needed it, it should go in another field.

In the real world, there is no need for this information. The packaging
tool can detect much more reliably the versions for which the extension
was built *after* they have been built (which is what python-support has
always been doing). And since the maintainers don’t understand the
difference between "all" and "current" (rightfully, since there isn’t
any real difference), the real-world packages don’t fill this field as
Matthias intended it.

--
 .''`.      Debian 5.0 "Lenny" has been released!
: :' :