On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 11:59:29 +1100
Ben Finney <ben+deb...@benfinney.id.au> wrote:

> > Are you saying that you don't want any BSD packages or that you're
> > trying to make Debian out of only packages using GNU licences?
>
> I would find it useful, for example, to more easily determine which
> works, or parts of works, are FDL-licensed. It's easy to see that
> others would have similar opinions on other licenses.

Then you are second-guessing ftp-master as well. How do you expect to
get a working system on that basis?

> > (I thought we were approaching some degree of sanity earlier on, but
> > that has been left behind in this sub-thread, which is apparently
> > trying to invent illusory benefits to justify what is increasingly
> > sounding like a personal obsession.)
>
> You may disagree with the benefit, but it's not illusory.

It certainly doesn't warrant changing every single package in order to
support it and if not all packages support it, the benefit is
unachievable.

> It's far easier for the user to prevent works they consider
> unacceptable from being installed in the first place, if that
> information is automatically discoverable from its metadata. If it's
> never installed in the first place, the need for deriving from it will
> be far less.

That does not mean that it is worthwhile reformatting the
debian/copyright file in every single source package across Debian.
Have you any idea how much work that actually involves? Let me give you
a hint - it isn't going to happen.

--

Neil Williams