Hi Frans Pop & debian-devel,

> Thanks! David Kalnischkies and I were able to reproduce a crash for
> sources that had no Packages file. This is fixed with the 0.7.23.1
For anybody further interested in the bug:
Something like a index-out-of-bounce, but libapt didn't access the end
(this was checked!) it only iterates over the end... sorry my bad.

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 18:34, Frans Pop<elen...@planet.nl> wrote:
> Michael Vogt wrote:
>> It looks like this is releated to the new code that adds lzma support
>> for Package file downloads and the option to configure in what order
>> the compression types should be used.
[...]
> announcing the new config option (including an example maybe), and also
> mentioning the new preference order?
See: man 5 apt.conf -> THE ACQUIRE GROUP -> CompressionTypes
The description is far from being perfect and a few things are missing
so real world input is highly welcomed.
Addition: The order is defined by insertion into the list and missing
default methods will be added automatically at runtime, so everything
you need to do to prefer gzip over bzip2 and lzma would be:
Acquire::CompressionTypes::gz gzip;

NEWS entry> I thought it is more a power user option and
as it changes nothing to the default so imo not fit for an entry,
but after cleaning up the documentation on this option we will
announce it as an aside in an upcoming NEWS entry, i guess.

Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

David "DonKult" Kalnischkies