Charles Plessy wrote:
> I use the packages I made, and renaming upstream programs names makes my
> scripts
> incompatible with my colleagues work environments using other distributions or
> installations from source. So as a maintainer, I spend time creating extra
> work
> for myself as a user. That does not make sense.

It is also possible to add symlinks into a private directory. Users willing
to use names with extensions only have to add this directory to their PATH.
For example, you can ship:
/usr/bin/util
/usr/share/package/bin/util.sh -> /usr/bin/util

Users willing to use names with extension on Debian only have to do
PATH=/usr/share/package/bin:$PATH

  Regards,
    Vincent