On 11/05/2012 15:29, Thomas Goirand wrote:

> The setting of unix rights 0440 is indeed very amusing.

Yes. Maybe the mean to chmod a-w everything, for some applications will
not work with so large modes (sudo, for example).

> The only nice point about this proposal is that it's going to make happy
> hard drive factories: they will be able to sell bigger hard drive for no
> valid
> good reasons.

Come on! Less than 20M, it could trivially be compressed.

> Seriously, can't someone who broke his configuration wget the package,
> and use mc to get into the .deb and get the original configuration file???

Not necessarily.

1) Many configuration files are dynamically generated through debconf
questions, which root may not be able to rerun to obtain the same result.
2) What if you borked your network configuration? What if the
malfunction is due to a complex interaction between several packages
(let's say, a FORCESSL option on some service A, and a libssl upgrade
breaks A but only if the FORCESSL option is used?) Being able
3) I think etckeeper could do the job without much development. However,
it will make the hard drive factories happy (according to you).

> Overall, all this proposal assumes that users are idiots who love to change
> things they don't understand, and aren't smart enough to restore. I can't
> believe that newbies favorite game would be changing randomly the
> content of /etc/init. And at the same time, I can't believe that experts
> tweaking upstart jobs wouldn't know how to restore them.

I find your attitude assumes users always have the knowledge and the
time to investigate everything. This is not the reality.

Sincerly,
--
Jean-Christophe Dubacq