On Wed, 29 May 2013 21:10:41 +0200, Wouter Verhelst
<wou...@debian.org> wrote:
>At Debian, traditionally we support more than one choice (at least for a
>while), until the community at large decides that option X is the best
>one (and then we drop support for all the other options). The downside
>of that is that it takes a lot longer for us to make a choice, but
>eventually you usually get the better option.
>
>The only reason why we seem to be unable to do so this time is that some
>people claim the sky will fall if we don't make a choice NOW!!1!
>
>I think it makes perfect sense for us to support systemd, openrc, and
>upstart, at least for the time being; I doubt we'll continue supporting
>all three options until the end of times, but we don't have to do that.
>At any rate, we *need* to support multiple options for our non-Linux
>ports, too, so this wouldn't be a lost effort.

The init system case is special because supporting another init script
system will most probably mean that all packages delivering an init
script ($ ls /etc/init.d/ | wc -l => 116 on my small notebook system)
will have to adapt. This is a major transition, and while we offer
multiple init systems as officially supported, additional work is
needed by all developers.

Greetings
Marc