On Sat, Aug 3, 2013 at 12:00 PM, adrelanos wrote:

> This question is about Virtual Box / Debian / screen resolution without
> having guest additions installed.

I see, is there any reason to not do that?

Anyway, looking at the Xorg.log you posted, it is using VESA. It
rejects (various reasons) all the modes returned by the virtual
firmware and uses some hard-coded built-in modes instead. Probably
this is either #566153 or #563203 and I think has been present
forever; I always assumed VESA didn't have a mechanism to do anything
higher than 1024x768.

> (It should work. Grub can do higher resolutions in grub boot menu as
> noted in my bug report. Why Linux can not?)

I missed that point. Do you know which driver/module grub is loading
to achieve that? I expect it is using VESA and trusting the virtual
firmware instead.

--
bye,
pabs