On 2014-02-05 10:57, Sam Hartman wrote:
> tarballs useful; anyone who is likely to want to build this from source
> probably has a copy of git and can checkout a tag.

Such a tag corresponds to an upstrema version?

> I'm happy to entertain other options rather than 3.0(native) but my
> requirements are:
>
> * support for upstream version
> * support for debian revision
>
> * No need to have upstream sources available to dpkg-buildpackage prior
>   to running it
>
> * No need to maintain .orig.tar.gz artifacts  produced by dpkg-source
>   and keep the checksums of these artifacts consistent between packages
>   with the same upstream versions.

All this sounds like it can be done with git-buildpackage
--git-pristine-tar --git-pristine-tar-commit. Can be set in
debian/gbp.conf. And maybe dpkg-source --single-debian-patch.
And if this doesn't work for you, we should enhance the tools e.g.
git-buildpackage, to better support the desired workflows (i.e. what you
really want to achieve), not the workarounds (the way you used achieve
this today^Wyesterday^Wbefore dpkg 1.17).

And your goal seems to be: "I have a git repository with upstream
branch, tags, debian branch and I want an easy solution (command) to
build conforming packages without having to worry about details like
creating upstream tarballs." and not "I need to upload foo 1.2-3 with
source format 3.0 (native)".

Andreas