Hi,

Quoting Joachim Breitner (2014-05-14 12:39:41)
> cool. Can this also be used in a relative ad-hoc manner to replace the
> simple script at
> http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-haskell/tools.git;a=blob;f=order-sources.pl
>   which does
>
>         Usage: $0 <dir / control / dsc>...
>
>         Each argument is expected to be a Debian source package directory;
> the debian
>         directory in a Debian source package directory the control file or
> the .dsc
>         file of a Debian source. These will be ordered by “obvious”
> build-dependencies
>         and printed out again.
>
> or does will it require stuff like local repositories to be set up
> first?

I can't speak about your specific haskell use case but in general, the problem
is that dependencies of binary packages get autogenerated during build time and
are not explicitly expressed in debian/control. Thus, a debian/control file
doesnt help to find a correct solution in all cases.

That botch can create transition orders is just a side product of the other
things it does. I verify botch's output by comparing it with the output of ben.
But ben also needs a repository as input.

The best thing both tools can do is to give you an order for the old, existing
packages and hope that your new packages depend on each other in the same way.

cheers, josch