Thorsten Glaser writes ("Re: bash exorcism experiment ('bug' 762923 & 763012)"):
> I’d rather prefer to see this resolved by getting #428189 fixed.

Clearly you would, but #428189 (moving coreutils printf to /bin) was
also implicitly rejected by the TC in its decision on #539158.  The
question of whether to move printf to /bin was raised in that
conversation, and rejected:

As Andreas wrote here:

 | If one of the members of the tech ctte considers that we should
 | either overwrite the udev-maintainer or move printf to /bin, we
 | should draft another resolution text for that.

> Fixing #428189 would avoid pulling printf into the list of builtins
> and not violate the #539158 decision.

So I think #428189 ought to be closed.

If you disagree about the meaning of the TC decision in #539158 then
the TC should clarify it.

Ian.