 >>> The problem with those groups is that they are not fine grained
 >>> enough.  For example, the video group gives access to the
 >>> framebuffer device (the user can do a screenshot) or to a webcam
 >>> (the user can spy another user).  By encouraging the use of those
 >>> groups, we create big security hole.

 >> Do these security considerations still apply to single-user,
 >> single-seat systems?

 > Yes.

        Namely?

 > We don't "chmod -R a+rwx /" for a good reason.

        That makes, like, an order of magnitude difference.

        The former allows the machine’s owner access to audio devices
        irrespective of /how/ he or she choose to initiate such access.
        (Say, I may decide to start ogg123(1) via at(1) to wake me up in
        the morning.)  Using Logind there is akin to only allowing user
        access to $HOME while being “physically” logged in.  (Or do we
        consider that a valid restriction as well?)

        On the contrary, the latter would allow for purely accidental
        damage to the system, with no big obvious advantages I could
        readily think of.

--
FSF associate member #7257  np. Satellite 15… The Final Frontier — Iron Maiden