Just a quick observation: a lot of the problems people have experienced with
network interface naming is a combination of two things: both whatever
persistence scheme is in place (or not), but also the fact they *need to know a
network interface name at all*.

Many times I've wanted to express "launch DHCPd on the only network device you
see or are going to see" with something like ifupdown, the actual network
device name is irrelevant, but I'm forced to use it because ifupdown is
old-aged. (This in particularly with VMs that might be cloned or moved around
a lot).

I think it's important to consider the state of our networking tools and what
we want to see there going forward in concert with device naming considerations,
and not make decisions based on the false premise that the way we do things now
is how we want to do them Tomorrow.

--
Jonathan Dowland