Le 06/12/2015 13:01, David Kalnischkies a écrit :
> On Sat, Dec 05, 2015 at 07:58:07AM -0500, The Wanderer wrote:
>> Will it still be possible to update just the apt-file index, separately
>> from updating the main package index? I see no indication in the current
>> apt(8) man page of a way to tell apt to do this.
>
> You can't update individual indexes at the moment. The question is why
> you would want to as from my point of view that was a pretty annoying
> technical detail that I had to run two (or three [debtags] or more)
> commands to get all the metadata.

  On most of my systems, I use i386 in addition to amd64. On my main
laptop, I even use armel and mipsel as I need cross-compilers for some
teaching exercises. Moreover, to be able to easily install packages
from various suite, I've stable, testing, unstable, sid and experimental
in my sources.list (and a few more such as various security, backport, ...)

  I use "apt-file search" very sporadically. And even when I use it,
most of the time, it is to find a package containing a header file,
so I do not need its database to be up-to-date. So I update it only
when the result from the first run is not good.

  Now, each apt{-get} update will update all Contents-Files for
*all architectures* and *all suites*. I do not want that. It takes
too long for data I do not need. It is especially annoying when I'm
traveling, that I've only a limited (speed and/or size) data link
and that I must upgrade/install a package.
  I will try to find a setup so that "apt-get update" does not
download Contents-Files (should be just commenting out the new
config file if I correctly read this thread) and create a
"apt-file-update" script that will download Contents-Files, perhaps
trying here to restrain the architectures and/or the suite (can be
a bit more tricky but probably only a matter of passing -o options
to apt-get update)
  The current default setup is a no-go for me.

  Regards,
    Vincent

--
Vincent Danjean       GPG key ID 0xD17897FA         vdanj...@debian.org
GPG key fingerprint: 621E 3509 654D D77C 43F5  CA4A F6AE F2AF D178 97FA