❦ 17 janvier 2016 11:25 +0100, Marc Haber <mh+debian-de...@zugschlus.de> :

>>Of course, vlan1 is up because with networkd, configuring the "netdev" makes
>>it up while in Debian, setting the IP makes it up. However, I don't see
>>you whining about the lack of flexibility in Debian where you cannot
>>execute a command when the interface is up but before it gets an IP.
>
> Because ifupdown has pre-up and up options in /e/n/i and hooks for
> scripts.

ifupdown doesn't give a hook for executing something after putting the
interface up and before setting an IP address. This can be useful to
check if we are plugged to the right switch port or to wait for the STP
state of the remote switch to be "forwarding". That's a different kind
of limitation.

networkd puts the interface up when creating it. It introduces an
unfortunate limitation, just workaround it with an unit file. You'll
have to accept at some point that upstream wants networkd to only cover
the most common use cases and that for more complex setups, you have
other solutions (like ifupdown, network manager or manual unit files).

> Btw, the word "whine" is offensive. Please cut that out.

What's the proper english verb for someone who complains everytime in a
negative way? Maybe "rant" would be more appropriate.

>>> People in the systemd community are asking us to not use
>>> EnvironmentFile or otherwise Lennart might feel forced to remove it
>>> since we're all using it wrong.
>>>
>>> This is what gets me absolutely furious.
>>
>>Already debunked here:
>> https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2016/01/msg00384.html
>>
>>Also:
>> https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2016/01/msg00075.html
>
> Please note what prompted my outburst, and guess whose opinion gets
> endorsed by systemd upstream.

I don't know what you mean. But I can understand that upstream prefers
to endorse opinion of people who engage in constructive discussions
instead of "ranting".
--
Familiarity breeds contempt -- and children.
                -- Mark Twain