On Thu, Nov 17, 2016, at 12:12, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 11:38:46AM -0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
> wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 17, 2016, at 09:50, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > > But we do already have > 1 year of widespread testing by users
> > > running unstable/testing on machines with TSX enabled.
> > >
> > > So for unstable/stretch this does not seem to be a huge problem.
> > >
> > > These are normal bugs that should be found and fixed if possible,
> > > just like passing a pointer in an int or many other kinds of bugs.
> > >
> > > Or do I miss anything here?
> >
> > I am not sure we have that much user coverage, given the blacklisting we
> > did in glibc.
>
> Skylake is not blacklisted anywhere, I assume?

Not by us, at least.  The processor model, firmware or microcode might
limit the availability of Intel TSX.

But it took quite a while for out-of-the-box Skylake BIOSes (i.e.
installed to the motherboard in the factory) to actually run Linux well
enough to finish a Debian install run (!).  Actually, it took a while
for it to do so even when the user updated the BIOS from the motherboard
vendor site before attempting to install Debian...

--
  Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <h...@debian.org>