Hi,

> [...]
> unconditionally setting it, breaks at least PIC builds. So PIE got
> enabled recently by default in gcc, as it could easily control when it
> is relevant. Although this has been done only for release architectures.
>
> At about the same time this was being considered, I realized that dpkg
> could enable this "safely" by using gcc specs files. But this is in
> any case also required to be able to disable PIE when it is implicitly
> enabled by default in gcc. So we'll need specs files no matter what,
> at least for now.
>
> While adapting dpkg-buildflags to cover for the new gcc defaults, I
> unintentionally enabled PIE by default on all architectures, and when
> I noticed, it seemed to make sense to leave it like that, because:
>
>   * All previous build flags from dpkg-buildflags have always been
>     enabled globally and only blacklisted completely when they have
>     been non-functional.
>   * It's a more consistent interface for packages, as they get built
>     with the same flags everywhere. Otherwise we'd get PIE enabled by
>     default in release arches, disabled by default elsewhere, and
>     enabled or disabled depending on the package requesting so.
>   * It will mean that PIE coverage reporting will be shadowed in
>     lintian, because the tags only cover i386 and amd64, so maintainers
>     will probably stop enabling them globally.
>
> Matthias Klose recently filed an unclear report (#848129) on dpkg-dev
> requesting to not enable PIE globally from dpkg-buildflags, and pretty
> much immediately added a patch into gcc [P] to ignore dpkg-buildflags
> PIE -specs flags if DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS or DEB_BUILD_MAINT_OPTIONS did
> not enable PIE explicitly (I only fully understood the request after
> seeing the gcc patch).
>
>   [P]
> <https://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/gcccvs/branches/sid/gcc-6/debian/patches/ignore-pie-specs-when-not-enabled.diff?revision=9202&view=markup>
>
> Besides this being completely broken, as DEB_BUILD_MAINT_OPTIONS
> does not even need to be exported from debian/rules, nor from the
> dpkg architecture.mk fragment, or when dpkg-buildflags is used with its
> --export=configure or --export=cmdline. It's also a layer violation.
> It also breaks unrelated stuff as now gcc emits notes when it thinks
> the -specs option should not be passed. And while I could certainly
> have started an arms-race by adding counter-measures by randomizing
> the filenames or something similarly ugly, that'd be pretty much silly
> and childish.
>
> For better or worse, this does not affect the release architectures,
> so by extension it should not affect the release, but it still sucks.
>
> So, I'd like to know how people feel about the requested interface
> (i.e. not enabling PIE globally from dpkg-buildflags). If there's
> consensus that porters and maintainers want that, I'll just change
> dpkg-buildflags to do this, even though I think it's a very

To detail the requested interface (requested originally in #835149 and
then in #848129 currently) is:

* Enable PIE in GCC on a set of architectures (GCC-PIE-ARCH-es)
* On every GCC-PIE-ARCH make dpkg-buildflags' "-pie" a noop, "+pie"
  still adds pie flag to compiler flags
  ("hardening=+all,-pie" would pass no PIE related flag to compiler)
* On every non GCC-PIE-ARCH leave dpkg-buildflags work as they did
before changing GCC's defaults
* Don't pass -specs from dpkg in any case

> Alternatively, porters could as well request PIE be enabled by default
> in gcc on their port, which could make this also globally enabled.

Enabling PIE for a specific port would involve enabling it in GCC first then
adapting dpkg in the next step.

Cheers,
Balint