On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 at 08:17, Adam Borowski <kilob...@angband.pl> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 09:34:07PM +0200, gregor herrmann wrote:
> > You indeed missed someone (for obvious reasons): I'd like to thank
> > the release team for their excellent work!
>
> +1

+lots

> > On Sun, 07 Jul 2019 02:47:00 +0100, Jonathan Wiltshire wrote:
> > > The release of buster also means the bullseye release cycle is about
> to begin.
> > > From now on, we will no longer allow binaries uploaded by maintainers
> > > migrate to testing. This means that you will need to do source-only
> uploads if
> > > you want them to reach bullseye.
>
> > But this part not so much.
> >
> > Forcing hundreds of maintainers to do two uploads for a new package
> > seems to me like the wrong solution for the conflicting interests of
> > the ftp team (wants to see binary packages for review in NEW) and the
> > release team (doesn't want to see binary packages in testing not
> > built by buildds).

FWIW in Ubuntu, packages go through NEW as source and then as soon as they
build they go back through as binaries. It seems to work OK.

> There's also a third concern: we need a way to bootstrap B-Depend cycles.
> Such as a self-hosting compiler, cyclical dependencies within an ecosystem,
> importing a whole new architecture, etc.

But the ban is only on developer-built binaries in testing. So you can
upload with binaries to unstable, then once they are published make a
source-only upload, the binaries from which will migrate. Sure it's an
extra upload or two but it's not that complicated really.

> I hope that there will be a better solution for this dilemma in the
> > not too distant future. If throwing away binaries is too problematic,
> > as Niels mentioned, maybe SomeThing™ could build a binary package for
> > the ftp-masters for source-only uploads to NEW. Or people knowing the
> > whole infrastructure better than me have smarter ideas :)
>
> The -ports team has an "unreleased" suite that buildds can use both for
> Deps and B-Deps, and people can use before patches are upstreamed.
> Something of this kind could be done for binary uploads.
>
> Some dude named Ken Thompson had an insightful comment here, but that's
> the easiest solution for now.

Well there's no getting away from that.

Cheers,
mwh