Hi,

On Sat, Nov 02, 2019 at 07:40:52PM +0100, Thomas Goirand wrote:

> There's no need to do that. If a backported package is using such
> features, then it just should depend on the correct version of systemd.
> You may have seen that systemd 242 is already in buster-backports...

Yes, that's one of the questions I have asked: is systemd a core system
component that we want to provide a stable release for, or is it one of the
peripheral packages that users can upgrade to a backported version if they
need a new feature, or has Debian relaxed its standards to accomodate
systemd?

Regardless of whether Debian wants to have diverse init systems or
standardize on one, we need to have a clear position on what kind of
support users can expect for the stable release. If a significant fraction
of users runs a backported systemd, can we provide security updates for
them, or will we shunt these users onto a "rolling release" track, and if
yes, who manages that track?

These are all questions we never had to answer with sysvinit, because the
interface was stable for decades. I can understand why systemd does not
want that kind of "stability", but that means that we need a policy for
dealing with the consequences of that decision.

   Simon