On Tuesday, February 4, 2020 5:22:15 PM EST Vincent Bernat wrote:
>  ❦  4 février 2020 11:30 -08, Russ Allbery <r...@debian.org>:
> >> As a heavy user or Rsyslog features I feel that switching default
> >> logging system yields no benefits to say the least.
> >
> > As a heavy user, perhaps you're not the target audience for a default?
> > You're going to install rsyslog no matter what, since you know it well and
> > use it heavily.  The only effect of this change on you will be a one-line
> > change to whatever you use for configuration management for new
> > systems.
>
> rsyslog even knows how to directly pull logs from the journal, which
> gives you access to stuff not logged to syslog (stdout/stderr of service
> files, applications logging directly to journal), as well to structured
> logs (comm pid, user, unit and more when the service supports journald
> directly).

For those of us who aren't customizers of Debian's logging function, it'd be
nice to have a clearer understanding of what this changes means.

Today, when, for example, I want to investigate something email related, I
look in /var/log/mail.log.  Other specialized log files for their special
purposes.  For data not covered by a specialized log, I look in /var/log/
syslog.

Will the specialized log files still be there?  Will the net effect be that I
just need to look in /var/log/journal (or something similar) instead of in /
var/log/syslog?  Is the persistent journal a text file or will I need
specialized tools to interact with it?

Scott K