On Sun, Oct 02, 2022 at 08:21:31PM +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 02, 2022 at 11:08:47AM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
> >>
> >> So this is the one bit that I don't think we currently have a good
> >> answer for. We've never had a specific script to run on upgrades (like
> >> Ubuntu do), so this kind of potentially breaking change doesn't really
> >> have an obvious place to be fixed.
> >
> >Is there a reason to not continue to make the packages available in non-free?
> >I don't see a reason to force any change on existing systems.
>
> Two things:
>
>  1. I'm worried what bugs we might expose by having packages be in two
>     components at once.
>  2. I really don't like the idea of leaving two different
>     configurations in the wild; it'll confuse people and is more
>     likely to cause issues in the future IMHO.
>
> Plus, as Shengjing Zhu points out: we already expect people to manage
> the sources.list anyway on upgrades.

I think in the absence of a release upgrade script (which I very much
doubt will happen, and be tested, and we can rely will be used, for
bookworm), Michael's suggestion seems like a reasonable way forward.  I
imagine we'll need to patch dak to allow that, but it seems like it
should be tractable?

Cheers,
Julien