On Fri, 2022-11-25 at 12:46 +0100, Bastian Venthur wrote:
> On 21.11.22 00:18, Paul Wise wrote:
> > anacron might be disabled if 2.3-33 was ever installed
> [...]
> I'm having trouble assessing the severity of the situation. Is more or
> less everyone affected who uses unstable? If yes, how do we mitigate?

Every system with task-laptop, parl-desktop, ipmiutil or octavia-agent
will have anacron. There are also recommends from task-desktop,
cinnamon-core, email-reminder. The other reverse deps are alternatives.

The problematic anacron version was in unstable from 2022-07-13 to
2022-09-04 and in testing from 2022-07-20 to 2022-09-05, as that is
~1.5 months, probably most unstable/testing anacron installs are
affected, since they probably did an upgrade during that time.

https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/anacron

> Don't think the majority of users reads the announcement mails.

The maintainer has stated that they don't intend any further actions,
so I thought it important that the issue be announced more widely.
So this was also announced via debian-user and micronews, but I suspect
you are right that not all unstable/testing users will hear about it.

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1019554#175
https://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/1033e8644f1658da6c8526f15de58264d7ab441d.ca...@debian.org
https://micronews.debian.org/2022/1669045429.html
https://micronews.debian.org/2022/1669126914.html