On Tue, 2023-06-06 at 11:45 +0100, Simon McVittie wrote:

> 2. i386 as a multiarch foreign architecture to run legacy binaries on
>    modern x86_64 systems

Are these use-cases likely to work with future library ABIs, or
do they need old library ABIs from when the binaries were compiled?

>    2a. legacy native Linux i386 binaries

It seems like modern Debian library ABIs will be bumped away from what
the old i386 binaries were built against, so future Debian i386 won't
be useful for this use-case anyway, except for very stable libraries,
symbol versioned libraries or libraries with multiple ABIs. That sounds
like glibc, X11 and SDL with compat libs. Anything else?

>    2b. legacy Windows i386 binaries via Wine (which requires a somewhat
>        complete i386 Linux library stack)

I guess Wine provides a translation layer between legacy 32-bit Windows
APIs/ABIs and modern Debian library ABIs, so this should still work?

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise