Hi Branden,

On Thu, 17 Aug 2023 at 10:08, G. Branden Robinson wrote:

> Hi Hugh,
>
> [...]
> So whether the man page is hand-crafted or generated from some other
> format at build time is not relevant.  In fact, it's _meta_ irrelevant
> (if that's even a thing) because the only reason (apart from the
> validation Lintian's doing) for a source project to run groff at build
> time on a man page is to generate a PDF, "cat page", or other
> _formatted_ version of the man page.[1]  Examples of these are rare, but
> Bash and NetHack generate cat pages, and groff itself generates a PDF
> compilation of all its man pages.[2]

Thanks for the explanation. While my research indicated that tbl was
not being called, I couldn't find any way of calling it, short of
`groff -t`.

> > > What exact check is failing here (is it lintian, or something else)?
> > > Could you please give us a pointer to the man page in question?
> >
> > Lintian issues the warning when checking for man-page issues using
> > groff (via man). This particular warning has only appeared since the
> > recent groff 1.23.0 upload.
>
> The warning is new to groff 1.23.0.[3]
>
> > The Lintian tag is 'groff-message'. The tag description helpfully
> > provides the exact command used during the check:
> >
> >     LC_ALL=C.UTF-8 MANROFFSEQ='' MANWIDTH=80 \
> >         man --warnings -E UTF-8 -l -Tutf8 -Z <file> >/dev/null
> >
> > The man page in question -- ftlint.1 -- is in the freetype2-demos
> > package [1], or you can get an online copy from [2].
>
> In the course of composing this message, I see that Colin covered this
> point.[4]

Yes. I had no idea preprocessors could be invoked via man(1).

> I would also note that you can use the grog(1) command (new and improved
> in groff 1.23.0![5]) to help you figure out which preprocessors (and
> macro package) a *roff document needs.[6]
>
> Let me know if this helps, or does not.

It does help, yes. I ran grog(1) on the man page in question and the
output immediately indicated that `tbl` was needed.

Thank you for your help.