On 2023-09-10 16:04, Praveen Arimbrathodiyil wrote:
On 10 September 2023 2:38:38 am IST, Gunnar Hjalmarsson
<gunna...@debian.org> wrote:
* The task-* packages should be reconsidered. At first hand I'm
thinking of all the non-latin task-* packages which recommend a
particular font. Let's take task-hindi-desktop as an example, which
currently recommends fonts-lohit-deva. I think it would be
consistent to change that to:

Recommends: fonts-noto-core | fonts-lohit-deva

fonts-noto-core covers "all" scripts, so with that package
installed there shouldn't be a need to install fonts-lohit-deva.
(And for many non-latin scripts Noto offers better quality than the
other non-latin font packages in the archive.)

For Malayalam, we prefer traditional script font by default. Noto
Malayalam coverage is not in traditional script.

Noted. So if we ever get that far, let's not touch the task-malayalam-desktop package.

And @FC Stegerman: Point taken. :) The reason why I talk so little about CJK is that fonts-noto-cjk appears to be the obvious choice for CJK scripts nowadays.

--
Rgds,
Gunnar Hjalmarsson