Quoting Gunnar Hjalmarsson (2023-09-13 21:09:00)
> Should fonts-noto-core be installed by default?
> Personally I think it should. The primary reason is that fonts-noto-core
> offers a broad coverage of Unicode characters, and the quality is in
> many cases superior to the free alternatives. Ask for instance an Arabic
> or Sinhala speaking user.
>
> To really make use of a Noto font, the font configuration may need to be
> tweaked. But having it installed is the basic prerequisite, and I think
> it makes sense that Debian as an internationally spread OS provides
> fonts of good quality for most languages.
>
> There is a problem with fonts-noto-core, though, as several people have
> mentioned already: For non-LCG scripts it provides one font per script.
> And there are quite a few of those. So for a user, who wants to actively
> and often select font in a font picker, the list of font options gets
> horribly long.
>
> Personally I see that as a shortcoming in the font pickers. They ought
> to offer some "favorites" functionality, in the same manner as it works
> with keyboard layouts. Unfortunately they don't, at least as far as I know.

Perhaps it is then immature to switch to using fonts-noto by default,
for the above reason alone (but see also further comments below).

> So we have a conflict of goals here. The good news is that a user who
> speaks some latin language, and who thinks it's important to be able to
> easily select font directly in various applications, can do:
>
> apt purge fonts-noto-core

Just as easily as those disliking a font can remove it, those
appreciating a font can install it.  Difference is if we want to bloat
all systems by default or not.

 - Jonas

 * Sponsorship: https://ko-fi.com/drjones