On Fri, Sep 15, 2023 at 07:44:45PM +0100, Luca Boccassi wrote:
> In fact, Marco yesterday told me the only blocker to boot a minimal
> Debian image with only /usr is PAM, and that's exclusively because of
> downstream-specific changes - upstream not only has supported the
> hermetic-usr config model for years, but the upstream maintainer is
> one of the main drivers of the generic effort at SUSE.

That's not accurate at all.  Debian carries no patches to the code for
handling paths to pam config files.

pam-auth-update is also not a "downstream change" to pam, it's integration
with the OS that has been done in /etc.

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/
slanga...@ubuntu.com                                     vor...@debian.org