Am 21.12.23 um 11:50 schrieb Christoph Berg:
Re: Helmut Grohne
Is it ok to call upgrade scenarios failures that cannot be reproduced
using apt unsupported until we no longer deal with aliasing?

If the answer is yes here, we'll close #1058937 (Ben's libnfsidmap1 bug)
with no action calling the scenario unsupported.

I think we should only deal with problems that can reasonably happen
in practice. If an extra hammer is required to hit the problem, we
should not spend extra effort on it.

A (dist-)upgrade not using apt is very much a corner case/niche use case.

I'd be interested if #1058937 can be reproduced using aptitude, though.
While the release notes explicitly recommend using apt/apt-get, I do think that dist-upgrades using aptitude should not run into those file loss issues.

If aptitude is safe, I'd consider #1058937 a bug, that is not release critical and I'd assign low(er) priority to it. Other issues, like getting all packages updated to move their files to /usr, have higher priority.

Michael