On Wed, Dec 27, 2023 at 04:36:01PM -0500, Kaiqi Z wrote:
> Hello Debian Community,
>
> I need to define a transitional package like debian Renaming Packages Method
> <https://wiki.debian.org/RenamingPackages#Transition_package_method>.
>
> Since it is transitional it should not contain any actual source code, only
> pointing to the real package(via "Depends" field).
Transitional packages are binary packages, talking about source code is
not relevant here. And all binary packages are built from source packages
even if they are mostly empty.

> The example from the official doc does not contain Source field too.
It shows the binary package definition, not a full debian/control file.

> Then I tried to rewrite debian/control file as below:
>
> Source: source-code
> Maintainer: Authors
> Section: misc
> Standards-Version: 3.9.2
> Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 9)
> Homepage: https://cloud.google.com/
>
> Package: real-deb-pkg
> Replaces: transitional-deb-pkg (<< 100.0.0~)
> Breaks: transitional-deb-pkg (<< 100.0.0~)
> Architecture: amd64 arm64
>
> Package: transitional-deb-pkg
> Depends: real-deb-pkg
> Architecture: all
Do you have any problems with this?

> I am not sure if I need to add more debian files to make the build works.
Does it not work?