Colin Watson <cjwat...@debian.org> writes:

> On Sat, Dec 30, 2023 at 12:13:28AM +0100, Philipp Kern wrote:
>> On 29.12.23 11:30, Simon Josefsson wrote:
>> > SSH3 is a complete revisit of the SSH protocol, mapping its semantics on
>> > top of the HTTP mechanisms. In a nutshell, SSH3 uses QUIC+TLS1.3 for
>> > secure channel establishment and the HTTP Authorization mechanisms for
>> > user authentication. Among others, SSH3 allows the following
>> > improvements:
>>
>> I feel like SSH3 is an unfortunate name. The program claims "SSH3 stands for
>> the concatenation of SSH and H3." - well sure, but you're also reusing the
>> name of an existing protocol and bump its version. ssh-h3?
>
> I agree - as the Debian OpenSSH maintainer, I'm concerned that this will
> cause a new source of user confusion because people will think "ah,
> ssh3, that must be better than ssh" (which indeed seems to have been a
> deliberate marketing choice by this project) and not realize that it's a
> largely incompatible thing.  Not to mention the way that it parses
> OpenSSH configuration files, which may work today but I doubt OpenSSH
> offers any guarantees that it won't make changes that will break this
> independent parser in future.

I share these concerns, so I'll delay the upload for now.  I'm hoping
upstream will rename the project to something less confusing.

> I also feel that something security-critical like this that's labelled
> by upstream as "still experimental" probably shouldn't be in a Debian
> release.  Maybe it should be kept in Debian experimental for the time
> being?

Sounds good if nothing happens on the naming front in the next
weeks/months.  Let's wait and see a bit.

One alternative that was suggested was to call the package something
else in Debian.  'golang-ssh3'?  'go-ssh3'?  Still somewhat problematic
as long as the 'ssh3' name is in there.

/Simon