Severity: wishlist
Owner: Richard Hansen <rhan...@rhansen.org>

* Package name    : keyd
  Version         : 2.4.3
  Upstream Contact: Raheman Vaiya <r.va...@gmail.com>
* URL             : https://github.com/rvaiya/keyd
* License         : Expat
  Programming Lang: C
  Description     : Keyboard key remapping daemon for Linux

keyd is a system-wide key remapping daemon which supports features like
layering, oneshot modifiers, and macros. In its most basic form it can be used
to define a custom key layout that persists across display server boundaries
(e.g wayland/X/tty).

Why I'm packaging this: I converted my Chromebook to a normal laptop running
Debian, and use keyd to work around the device's limited keyboard (no Home, End,
PageUp, PageDown, or Del keys, among others).

Unlike tools like xmodmap, keyd works at a low level (via Linux kernel
interfaces evdev and uinput), so it works with X11, Wayland, and VTs without
needing any environment-specific support.  As far as I know, no existing Debian
package provides similar low-level functionality.

keyd's feature set overlaps with kmonad (https://github.com/kmonad/kmonad) which
also merits packaging.  I'm packaging keyd instead of kmonad because keyd is
considerably simpler, and I'm unfamiliar with the Haskell ecosystem (kmonad is
written in Haskell).

I am not a DD or DM, so I would like some team or DD to volunteer to co-maintain
and sponsor uploads.  I'm not sure which team would be the best match;
suggestions would be appreciated.  Maybe the input method team
(https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/IMEPackagingTeam) would be interested; I'll ping
them if nobody has an alternative suggestion.