On Fri, Jan 05, 2024 at 06:53:50PM +0100, Sebastian Ramacher wrote:
> Hi Steve

> > - perl will also get a sourceful upload, to manually handle 'perlapi'
> >   Provides.

> Can we combine this one with the upcoming perl transition? See #1055955.

Pros and cons of combining:

- it will save another rebuild of perl modules
- new perl upstream versions usually break at least some
  reverse-dependencies in the archive, so this may slow down the time_t
  transition to testing for other packages by entangling it with sourceful
  perl changes.

The release team has already suggested not entangling the two.
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1055955#10

> Here are some more comments on individual packages.

> > 22 libobs-dev

> That's a change to the plugin ABI only.

Can you explain how you've reached that conclusion?  This is a package that
failed to be analyzed in the latest run; an earlier run against Ubuntu lunar
showed no change in ABI at all.

Looks like the failure to analyze should be easily fixable (maybe libobs-dev
shouldn't be shipping this header?)
https://adrien.dcln.fr/misc/armhf-time_t/2023-12-18/logs/libobs-dev/base/log.txt

> > 14 gnuradio

> gnuradio bump its SONAME every other month.

And usually takes time, at least from what I've seen on the Ubuntu side, to
settle all reverse-dependencies out into a consistent state where they can
migrate to testing

> > 9 libopenmpt-dev

> Seems to be a false positive.

<snip>

Your responses here are to the contents of the `sorted-revdep-count` list.
This is the list of header packages that *we were unable to analyze with
abi-compliance-checker*, and so in the interest of avoiding ABI mismatches
and broken systems for users when upgrading on 32-bit archs, would get a
package rename to be safe.

This is the plan I had outlined at:

I am happy for any help in the form of patches to
https://salsa.debian.org/adrien-n/armhf-time_t that fix the failures of
these header packages to be analyzed, or explanations for how a given header
package's API changes cannot affect the ABI of the runtime libraries from
the source package so that we can manually exclude those libraries from the
transition.  I am not sure I would *recommend* that maintainers spend a lot
of time on proving one or another individual library does not have an ABI
breakage, especially in the long tail of libraries with few
reverse-dependencies whose involvement in the transition is unlikely to
substantially slow down Debian development.

> > 5 gcc-10-plugin-dev

> Can be skipped, not part of testing. Should be RMed from the archive
> instead.

Thanks, I had already manually excluded gcc-13-plugin-dev from the
transition, but there are gcc-*-plugin-dev in the archive for 4 other
versions of gcc.  I've updated things here to exclude all of them now.

I will not, in general, exclude a library from the transition only because
it's currently not in testing; this could be a transient situation, and
users' shouldn't wind up with broken partial upgrades of this library later
if it returns to testing.

> > 4 llvm-15-dev

> llvm-toolchain-15 is scheduled for removal. Reverse dependencies should
> get an RC bug instead.

> > libavutil58

> av_timegm is not used by any package in the archive. I'd skip ffmpeg and
> it's libraries.

How did you determine that it's unused by any reverse-dependencies?  I'd be
happy to exclude it, but want to be sure we're not exposing users to bugs in
the process.

> > libpoppler-cpp0v5
> > libpoppler-glib8
> > libpoppler-qt5-1
> > libpoppler-qt6-3
> > libpoppler126

> Can be combined with the upcoming poppler transiton (see #1060019)

Again, combining the time_t transition with transitions introducing
sourceful changes (and possible API incompatibilities) to existing libraries
risks slowing the transition down to Debian's detriment.

> > libvlc5
> > libvlccore9

> Change to vlc plugin ABI. This does not require a change of the binary
> package name.

There are other reverse-dependencies of libvlccore9 in the archive that are
not VLC plugins (phonon4qt5-backend-vlc etc).  Are these packages simply
mis-linked against that library?

Thanks,
Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/
slanga...@ubuntu.com                                     vor...@debian.org