Package: wnpp
Severity: wishlist
Owner: Simon McVittie <s...@debian.org>
debian-devel-ga...@lists.debian.org, pkg-sdl-maintain...@lists.alioth.debian.org

* Package name    : sdl2-compat
  Version         : currently 2.28.50~git20240108
  Upstream Contact: https://github.com/libsdl-org/sdl2-compat/issues
* URL             : https://github.com/libsdl-org/sdl2-compat
* License         : mainly Zlib, with various other permissive licenses
  Programming Lang: C
  Description     : SDL 2 binary compatibility library wrapping SDL 3

 sdl2-compat provides a binary compatible API for programs built
 against SDL 2, but using SDL 3.
 .
 If you are writing new code, please target SDL 3 directly (when it
 becomes stable) instead of using this layer. Debian packages should not
 depend or build-depend on this package: please use libsdl2-2.0-0
 and libsdl2-dev instead.

---

ITP on behalf of the SDL team, with much of the packaging and testing
being done as part of my work at Collabora Ltd. A prerelease version
is here: https://salsa.debian.org/sdl-team/sdl2-compat

SDL 3 (in experimental) is not yet API- or ABI-stable, so "real" SDL 2
(src:libsdl2) continues to be the recommended runtime library for
SDL games and other applications for now.

When SDL 3 and sdl2-compat become stable, we will want to replace "real"
SDL 2 with sdl2-compat (it's a drop-in replacement), the same way "real"
SDL 1.2 was replaced with sdl12-compat after the Debian 12 release. I
expect that SDL upstream will eventually stop producing new releases
of "real" SDL 2 at all, and expect all SDL 2 users to replace it with
sdl2-compat, the same way they already discontinued "real" SDL 1.2.

Until we're ready for that transition, the sdl2-compat packaging will
be very similar to the way sdl12-compat was packaged in Debian 12, with
the main package being a non-default library that can be substituted
via the SDL_DYNAMIC_API or LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variables.

As with SDL3, I want to get this into experimental well before it is
ready for production use, so that it isn't too late to feed back test
results and structural change suggestions to upstream.