On 1/16/24 13:56, Jérémy Lal wrote:

As Built-Using is for license compliance only, no?

See

https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-relationships.html#additional-source-packages-used-to-build-the-binary-built-using

Indeed, thanks for the link.

it seems that many people think that "Built-Using" can be used to express static linking (including yours truly, even though i *know* that it is meant for license compliance only).

which makes me wonder: probably we should have an additional field that expresses such static linking (and therefore would trigger a rebuild when the dependency changes). or we could finally accept that many¹ people would just use "Built-Using" for this anyhow, and explicitly allow such use.

dmas
IOhannes

¹ i have the gut feeling i am not alone :-) but i don't have any numbers